This huge, 184 tons of adherent weight, 4,750 HP powerful beast, called Russa (Russian) has an interesting story. They were originally built for the former U.S.S.R. during the last days of World War II by General Electric. However, when they were ready to be delivered, in 1946, Cold War was beginning. So the U.S. Government forbade the exportation of the "Little Joes" (as they were known in the U.S., as an "homage" to Stalin) to the U.S.S.R. Then General Electric offered the locomotives to some U.S. railroads, like the The Milwaukee Road. Eventually the Brazilian Companhia Paulista bought five of them (#450 to #454). This photo, shot by Ivanir Barbosa, is courtesy of Antonio Carlos Belviso, from São Paulo SP.
Return to C.P.E.F. Electric Locomotives Page.
© Antonio Augusto Gorni